Status: On display
The Flying Saucer
The brainchild of A.V. Roe and chief designer John Frost, the Avrocar was a revolutionary aircraft – capable of vertical takeoffs and landings.
Initial funding for its development, during the years 1952 to 1954 came from Avro Canada and the Canadian Government.
After demonstrating the project to the United States Air Force, Frost succeeded in obtaining funding from the US Military. Frost and his team then concentrated their efforts on developing a supersonic disc-shaped vehicle.
In 1959, a series of wind tunnel tests were completed at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Ames Research Centre in Moffett Field, California. Test flights were later conducted at the Avro plant in Malton, Ontario. The tests revealed serious design flaws and stability problems and the Avrocar never flew higher than one metre above the ground.
Funding for the project ran out before the necessary modifications could be made. The Avrocar project was shelved, but the lessons learned continued to influence aviation development.
The Avrocar was added to the museum’s collection on March 14, 2003.
- Diameter: 26′ 10″
- Height: 5′ 6″
- Weight: 5,650 lbs
- Engines: Three Continental YJ69-T-9 turbojets